Pennfield was erected in 1786 as one of the county’s original parishes;
it included most of modern Lepreau Parish
and the northern boundary was slightly south of where it is today.
Pennfield annexed the unassigned lands to the north of the parish in 1850.
Lepreau Parish was erected as its own parish in 1857.
was erected as its own parish in 1869,
including the northern part of Pennfield.
The parish was named by Quaker Loyalist
settlers of the area for William Penn
, early Quaker leader and founder of Pennsylvania
Pennfield Parish’s boundaries use both metes and bounds
: on the north by a line running true west from the southernmost corner of Queens County
; on the east by a line running true north
from the mouth of the Pocologan River; on the west by a prolongation north and south of the western line of a 1000-acre grant straddling Lake Utopia and then along a line running through the Letang River and Letang Harbour; and on the south by the Bay of Fundy. The parish also includes any islands with two miles (3.2 kilometres) of the shore and The Wolves, a group of islands more than five miles (eight kilometres) offshore.
The LSD of Beaver Harbour includes an area on the western side of Beaver Harbour the includes part of the historic town plat and runs north to the junction of Mountain Road and Waite’s Lane. The community of Beaver Harbour outgrew the boundaries of the LSD by 2013.
The LSD of the Parish of Pennfield includes the rest of the parish outside the village of Blacks Harbour.